Wonderful green chile chowder. I found this in an old Junior League cookbook from El Paso, called "Seasoned with Sun". Their comment about the recipe: "We know people who will buy this book for this recipe alone." Cooking and Prep time does not include roasting the green chiles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 jalapeno, fresh, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup long green chili, fresh, roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped...this should be about 3 medium
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk, may use 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups half and half
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Combine the jalapeno, green chiles, onions, potatoes, seasoning salt, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- 2Melt margarine over low heat; add flour to blend. Cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes to make a blonde roux.
- 3Strain the liquid from the potato, chile and onion mixture, reserving 3 cups cooking liquid.
- 4Mash 1/2 of the potato, chile and onion mixture, cover to keep it warm. Reserve the other half, keeping it warm.
- 5Stir the reserved 3 cups of cooking liquid into the roux. Raise heat, stirring with a wire whisk until thickened. Add milk to thickened liquid and continue to stir until it comes to a simmer.
- 6Turn off heat. Add mashed potato, chile and onion mixture. Stir in and blend well. Add reserved cubed potatoes, chile and onions.
- 7Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- 8To roast chilies:
- 9Poke a hole in the end of each shile with an ice pick.
- 10Spread chiles on a cookie sheet and broil, turning until skins are blistered on all sides. If chiles begin to get too brown, lower the rack to keep them from burning.
- 11When chiles are completely roasted, place them between dish towels or in a plastic bag to steam. This aids in removing the skins.
- 12Peel off the skins as soon as the chiles are cool enough to handle by laying chiles on a board and slitting one side lengthwise. Open chiles carefully and removed seeds and lateral veins. Rinse under cool water and place on a towel to dry.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chile Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (2892 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.6
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 16.4 mg
- Sodium 290.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: