Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This stew is very flexible. You can add ingredients or remove them, just so long as you keep the canned soup, chicken, and green chiles (those are the key ingredients.) You can increase or decrease the amount of chiles to adjust the heat to your taste. The water that the chicken is cooked in makes absolutely wonderful chicken broth - enough for this soup and some for the future too. You can substitute canned chicken broth to make the stew quicker, but the homemade broth is divine.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion (quartered)
- 1⁄2 onion (chopped)
- 4 stalks celery (2 broken into big pieces, 2 chopped)
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (approx.)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- water (cover the chicken)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 6 fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (skinned and cut into wedges)
- 1 zucchini (chopped)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 potato (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup green anaheim chili, 4 oz. can
- Cook the chicken with enough water to cover it plus 1 quartered onion, 2 broken celery stalks, 4 cloves, seasoned salt (to taste) 2 bay leaves, 2 crushed cloves garlic, and the peppercorns. (You can use a slow cooker if you want.) Refrigerate until cool. (If you do this the night before you can then remove the fat from the broth easily.) Remove and discard the bones and skin and chop the meat.
- Remove the onion, celery, and whole spices from the broth (strain in a colander) and reheat about 1/2 of it. Save the other half for the future.
- Saute the mushrooms and chopped onion in the butter until lightly browned.
- Add the potato, celery, and carrot to the broth and simmer until they are soft (or use pre-cooked veges) then add the zucchini and simmer until it is almost done. Put the mushrooms and remaining ingredients into the broth and simmer until reheated.
This is a pretty tasty stew. I used chicken tenders as I had a whole bunch to use. I also didn't use mushrooms but used chopped roasted green chilis - tasty.
I like to think I followed this recipe pretty much (when making just half a recipe), but I opted out of half of a whole chicken & used 3 large chicken breasts instead! I also left out the mushrooms! Other than that, it was a go, & the resulting stew turned out to be A VERY TASTY DISH, as likely as not BECAUSE OF the green chili! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]