Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an experiment; DH and I couldn't choose between chicken pot pie or tortilla casserole so I decided to invoke both with a brand new recipe. If it is posted here you'll know we enjoyed it :). Credit is due to Chef #169430 for her Chili Cheese Cornbread (Low Fat) #188754, which I have used here as the crust. I halved her recipe.
- 118.29 ml yellow cornmeal
- 14.79 ml yellow cornmeal
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 28.39 ml whole wheat flour
- 158.51 ml fat-free buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 59.14 ml reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 113.39 g can green chilies
- 226.79 g frozen mixed vegetables
- 118.29 ml zucchini, sliced
- 283.49 g can 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 236.59 ml cooked chicken, diced
- 118.29 ml skim milk
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a small bowl combine cornmeal through wheat flour. Make a well in the center, and combine buttermilk, egg, cheese, and 2 T chiles. Mix gently and set aside.
- In an 8 x 8 dish mix chicken, soup, vegetables, milk, and remaining chiles. Microwave for 4 minutes to heat through, then stir.
- Top chicken mixture with cornmeal mixture, then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until cornbread is golden and middle is done.
Excellent! I doubled the recipe to feed my hungry 4 and used my own mix veggies (red and green pepper, onion, celery, kidney beans and zucchini) Very good recipe. To eat it we actually inverted it so that all the yummy gravyness moistened up the cornbread. Thanks for posting this!