This is an experiment; DH and I couldn't choose between chicken pot pie or tortilla casserole so I decided to invoke both with a brand new recipe. If it is posted here you'll know we enjoyed it :). Credit is due to Chef #169430 for her Chili Cheese Cornbread (Low Fat) #188754, which I have used here as the crust. I halved her recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) can 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a small bowl combine cornmeal through wheat flour. Make a well in the center, and combine buttermilk, egg, cheese, and 2 T chiles. Mix gently and set aside.
- In an 8 x 8 dish mix chicken, soup, vegetables, milk, and remaining chiles. Microwave for 4 minutes to heat through, then stir.
- Top chicken mixture with cornmeal mixture, then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until cornbread is golden and middle is done.