Recipe by PaulaG
These are so easy. Serve with refried beans, spanish rice and a salad for a true Tex-Mex meal.
Top Review by ~Leslie~
Paula, we loved this recipe, it was gorgeous! We served it with black bean rice and salsa for a great Saturday night meal. I used fresh chili peppers and increased the broth by 1/2 cup more. I also layered a little extra cheese between the tortilla layers. I had to use flour tortillas, but it turned out terrific. Great flavour, well written recipe, thanks so much for posting! Made for Aussie Swap :)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced green chili peppers (fresh roasted or frozen)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-size saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chile, chicken broth, and shredded chicken; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch and about 1/4 cup cold water until smooth.
- Add to chile/chicken mixture and cook 2 more minutes.
- While preparing the chile/chicken mixture, cut tortillas into strips.
- Place the tortilla strips on a cookie sheet, place in preheated oven until warm.
- Spray an 8 x 11 inch glass baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place one cup of chile/chicken sauce on bottom of pan.
- Top with one-third of the tortilla strips.
- Repeat 2 more layers of sauce and tortilla strips.
- Top with remaining sauce and grated cheese.
- Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.