1/1 Photo of Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
New Mexican Rob's Note:
I live in southern New Mexico. Our cuisine is far different than that of northern New Mexico (ie, Santa Fe, Taos, etc.). Las Cruces, or Hatch really, is the chile growing capital of the world. Whenever we have pot lucks at work or partys, my green chile enchiladas are always requested. If it is going to be an especially large group, I leave out the chicken and just make several trays of green chile cheese enchiladas. Just for clarification, "CHILI' is that soup dish made with hamburger meat and beans that is popular in Texas, while "CHILE" is the spicy vegitable that makes mexican food so great. Green chile and red chile come from the same plant. Green chile is harvested when ripe, and red chile is from chile left on the vine or tied up in RISTRAS to dry out and become red chile. When I was in college in Odessa, they didn't have descent green chile, they used tomatillos instead. I did not like that at all, so I substituted fresh jalapenos instead. They were hot, but my west Texas buddies ate them all up (of course sweating out the jalapenos the whole time).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combined all sauce ingredients along with enough water (or milk) to fill the two cans of soup in a large sauce pan over medium heat. We are not frying the tortillas, so the extra moisture from either the water or milk is needed to soften them while baking.
- 2After sauce mixture has simmered for about 5 minutes, begin assembling in a large casserole dish. I start with a some of the sauce, then a layer of tortillas, a layer of sauce, then the shredded chicken, then cheese, then back to the tortillas.
- 3It goes as high as there is ingredients (usually 4 or 5 layers).
- 4Then we bake in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. After 10 minutes of cooling down, it is ready to be served.
- 5I'm a single father of 5 teenage boys, so we go buffet style with this dish, along with mexican fried rice and refried beans.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 896.8
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 116.7 mg
- Sodium 2079.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 48.2 g