Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
My Mother-In-Law, Sister-In-Law and I threw this together out of my SIL's pantry for an impromptu dinner one night. I've made a tweak or two (meaning two weeks later I couldn't remember all we'd done!) and now my family just inhales this. Even my picky 9 yr old! The quantity for the chicken broth is approximate....I use it out of a box and used about 1/2 a box.
- 2 cups chicken broth, approximate, divided
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 raw carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 7 whole green chilies, roasted and peeled, seeds & stem removed
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 12 1⁄2 ounces white meat chicken, canned (or 2 cups shredded)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin (or more)
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- cheese, shredded
- Add onions, carrots and garlic to a small saucepan. Cover with chicken broth and boil until the carrots are just turning tender.
- Peel and de-seed roasted green chiles and add them to the blender, salt & pepper as desired. Add some chicken broth to the blender and the onions, carrots, garlic and broth. Blend until semi-smooth. You may need to add more broth. Peel and de-seed an avocado and add it to the blender and puree. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- In skillet, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook for about a minute. Add in about a cup or so of broth while stirring. When it starts to thicken, add contents of blender to the skillet and stir. You may need to add more broth to get it to the thickness you like.
- Add a little sauce to the bottom of a 13x9 pan. To each tortilla, add a little chicken and a little cheese and roll up. Place seam side down in the pan. Spread the rest of the green chile sauce over the enchiladas. Bake for about 30 minutes. Add cheese and put back in the oven until melted.
This recipe was absolutely delicious and simple.I was looking for a green chile recipe and I'm so glad I found this one. this sauce was perfect and it was the perfect serving size. Thanks so much for such a great recipe. Looking forward to making it again.