I love to experiment with Mexican and Italian dishes. This is a recipe that a friend gave me that I tweaked to my family's liking. Instead of frying the tortillas, these are dipped in Chicken Broth. ;) You'll never miss the oil and the enchiladas are moist and flavorful. ;)
- 2 (7 ounce) cansfire roasted diced green chilies, mild
- 1 (4 ounce) canfire roasted diced green chilies, hot
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) cangarlic roasted seasoned chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 18 (7 -8 inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken, see note
- 2 cups monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend (mexican blend shredded)
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400Â°.
- Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chiles, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer until reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes.
- Bring seasoned chicken broth and remaining chicken broth to a gentle simmer. Working one at a time, very briefly dip tortillas into broth to barely soften. Transfer each tortilla to a large baking sheet (you may need 2 or 3 sheets). Do not overlap or tortillas will stick.
- Divide 1 1/4 cups cheese equally among tortillas and top each with shredded chicken, dividing evenly. Wrap tortilla around filling and transfer, seam-side down, to a 9- by 13-in. baking dish. I can fit 9 into a casserole dish.
- Pour chile sauce over enchiladas, add large spoonful of simmered chicken broth (left over from tortillas) over sauce and top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake until cheese is bubbling and browned approximately 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream and spanish rice. Ole!
- Note: I buy a whole seasoned chicken and put in the crockpot and set for 10 hours. This cooks the chicken slow and makes it easy to shred and give these enchiladas more flavor.
This is fantastic! One of the best recipes ever!
We liked these enchiladas, they made good leftovers too. However, my husband prefers a sour cream sauce with his enchiladas verdes. Thanks for sharing.
Oh my, you are going to love this dish! The combination of ingredients is perfect and I loved the idea of dipping the tortillas in the chicken broth...so much better than frying. I used a rotisserie chicken which made this easy dish even easier. Hubby insists that I make this again. Thanks for ANOTHER winner, Chef~V.