1/1 Photo of Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Vseward (Chef~V)'s Note:
I love to experiment with Mexican and Italian dishes. This is a recipe that a friend gave me that I tweaked to my family's liking. Instead of frying the tortillas, these are dipped in Chicken Broth. ;) You'll never miss the oil and the enchiladas are moist and flavorful. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (7 ounce) cans fire roasted diced green chilies, mild
- 1 (4 ounce) can fire roasted diced green chilies, hot
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can garlic roasted seasoned chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 18 (7 -8 inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken, see note
- 2 cups monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend (mexican blend shredded)
- sour cream (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400Â°.
- 2Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chiles, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer until reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes.
- 3Bring seasoned chicken broth and remaining chicken broth to a gentle simmer. Working one at a time, very briefly dip tortillas into broth to barely soften. Transfer each tortilla to a large baking sheet (you may need 2 or 3 sheets). Do not overlap or tortillas will stick.
- 4Divide 1 1/4 cups cheese equally among tortillas and top each with shredded chicken, dividing evenly. Wrap tortilla around filling and transfer, seam-side down, to a 9- by 13-in. baking dish. I can fit 9 into a casserole dish.
- 5Pour chile sauce over enchiladas, add large spoonful of simmered chicken broth (left over from tortillas) over sauce and top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake until cheese is bubbling and browned approximately 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream and spanish rice. Ole!
- 6Note: I buy a whole seasoned chicken and put in the crockpot and set for 10 hours. This cooks the chicken slow and makes it easy to shred and give these enchiladas more flavor.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.9
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 91.1 mg
- Sodium 1879.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 35.8 g