My aunt from Texas gave me this recipe as part of a family cookbook when I got married, and it's one of the most requested dishes that I make. Perfect for entertaining, paired with my Super-Rich Cornbread. Use any garnishes you like, such as salsa, sour cream, guacamole, black olives, etc. You will love this dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 corn tortillas (flour can be used, too)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 6 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup bottled salsa
- 2 (15 ounce) cans green enchilada sauce (or 1 big can, I think 32 oz.)
- 6 cups cooked chicken, shredded (buy a couple rotisserie chicken breasts at the supermarket and shred those to save time)
- 2 cups chihuahua cheese, shredded (Mexican cheese found in specialty cheese case)
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap tortillas (6 tortillas in two packets) in foil and heat in oven until warm and soft.
- 2Meanwhile, (back at the ranch), in a large heavy saucepan or cast iron skillet, sauté onion in oil for 3-4 minutes.
- 3Add spices and green chilies, cooking over a low heat.
- 4Add salsa and chicken, increasing heat to medium and stir until hot. (If the mixture seems dry, add a little enchilada sauce.).
- 5In the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch casserole, spread about 1/4 of the enchilada sauce.
- 6Place even amounts of the chicken mixture on each tortilla, roll up, and place in baking dish seam-side down.
- 7Pour the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees until the cheese is hot/bubbly and a little browned.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 635.6
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 151.2 mg
- Sodium 1012.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 50.1 g