Easy to make with chicken or leftover turkey. Can also be made ahead and frozen, but increase baking time (cook covered for 1 hour, remove foil and then bake until bubbly and slightly browned on top).
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (11 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup (or one can cream of chicken and one can cream of celery)
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray bottom of large saucepan with cooking spray and saute garlic and onion until onions are soft.
- Add chicken broth, green chiles, sour cream, salt, cumin black pepper and soup stirring with a whisk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup of soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange 4 tortillas over the top of soup mixture (it doesn't matter if there are some gaps--I end up tearing some in halves and fourths to spread them out with very little overlap or gaps--placing torn sides against flat sides of pan.).
- Repeat layers (3 tortilla layers topped with 1/4 of remaining soup mixure, 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Very tasty, easy to make. I added black olives and since I had no soup, made my own cream gravy with the broth from the chicked I boiled.
This was really good Sharlene. I first had a similar dish at a church luncheon a few years ago, and I've been wanting to replicate it. I only used 1 cup of chicken broth and I mixed the chicken into the soup mixture. I bet this would be good with crushed tortilla chips too. Thanks for sharing.