Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Food & Wine, April 2008.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch dice
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 white onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (19 ounce) can pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, drained
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock or 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- lime wedge, for serving
- white rice, for serving
- In a medium soup pot, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering.
- Season the diced chicken thighs with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the pink beans, green chiles and stock to the chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Cook over moderately low heat until the stew has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the chicken and pink bean stew into bowls with rice and serve with lime wedges.
If I could give this recipe 10 stars, I would. It was absolutely fantastic. This was barely enough to feed the three of us so I said that I would double it next time and then I looked at the recipe again and realized that it was supposed to be served with rice - duh!!! Anyway, we loved the combination of flavors. I couldn't find pink beans, so I used small red beans instead. This is definitely a keeper and will be made again as it is very quick and easy. Thanks for posting this Vino Girl. Made for Think Pink Tag October 2009.
Delicioso! This is just how I like southwestern food - flavorful and not too spicy. I especially liked the tang of lime and fruity bits of cilantro. DH loved the flavors and had to add his heat so it was perfect for each person to "garnish" as they desire. The ease and speed of preparation made this great for an after work/school meal. It is additionally attractive as my teens enjoyed it too. Gracias Vino!