Recipe by lunaburning
Meatless and full of cheese. Can't remember where I first stumbled across this recipe, but I've never found a cheese enchilada recipe that I liked better. You have to try this one to appreciate it. It really tastes MUCH better than it reads!
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 medium onion, minced
- oil (for frying)
- 12 corn tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan, and sprinkle in flour. Stirring constantly, allow flour to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly stir in half-and -half. Simmer, stirring frequently about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Add chiles,1/2 cup onion and cayenne, and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Mix cheese and medium minced onion. Heat oil in a skillet,(you only need maybe half an inch) then dip the tortillas in hot oil, one at a time, for about 5 seconds each. Stack them on top of each other on a plate, covered with paper towels as you go.
- Scoop cheese mixture (about half a cup or so per tortilla) onto tortillas, and roll up, placing seam side down in a 13 x 9 inches baking pan. When all tortillas are rolled, pour the green chile sauce over all, and top with the remaining cheese. Bake uncovered in preheated oven, for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Great when garnished generously with sour cream.