Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
from the El Paso Times newspaper in El Paso, Texas. It is made and served at the Koo-bah Cantina.
- 3 onions
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 (27 ounce) cans green chilies
- 10 garlic cloves
- 6 celery ribs
- 3 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 2 gallons water
- 6 tablespoons chicken stock or 6 tablespoons broth
- 3 lbs beef
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons pepper
- monterey jack cheese
- In a really big pot, saute onions and garlic with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add tomatoes and green chile.
- Add beef and water and cook on medium heat for ablout 3 hours until beef is cooked tender.
- Add celery, potatoes, and carrots.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add chicken stock.
- Cook on medium-high heat for ablout 20 minutes until potatoes are done.
- Serve stew in a bowl and top with Monterey Jack cheese. Serve with bread.
This was very good! I made a smaller batch, and omitted only the carrots, because I did not have any on hand. It made a nice, hearty, spicy, flavorful stew, and I appreciated that it uses beef, instead of pork. Served it with warm tortillas and butter, and it made for a lovely meal on a cold night!