Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from Kalyn's Kitchen food blog, which has lots of great South Beach diet recipes. I was looking for an easy, portable, protein-rich breakfast that was not too heavy with fat and this is it!
- 12 eggs
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (or use half the can if you want them less spicy, but now I always use the whole can, be sure to use )
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat cheese, grated (I use Four Cheese Mexican Blend)
- 2 tablespoons half & half light cream (optional) or 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- 1 teaspoon spike seasoning (optional, but recommended, f you don't have Spike use your favorite multi-purpose seasoning.)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F/190°C
- Spray silicone muffin pans or individual silicone baking cups with nonstick spray. (You can also use 2 paper muffin liners sprayed with non-stick spray but the silicone pan or muffin cups work much better.) In each muffin cup put a very generous pinch of grated cheese. The muffin cup should be about 2/3 full of cheese before you put the egg inches.
- Break eggs into bowl, add milk or half and half if using, and beat until egg whites and yolks are well combined. Add spices and green chiles with juice and mix into eggs.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese so each muffin cup liner is full to the brim. (This usually takes two pourings as the egg mixture settles over the cheese. Be sure they are as full as you can get them, but not running over the side.) I like to take a fork and gently "stir" in each muffin cup to get the cheese evenly distributed in the egg.
- Bake 375 for about 35 minutes, or until all muffins are puffed up and the top is starting to brown. (I usually start checking them and rotate the pan after 25 minutes.).
- Egg muffins will keep in the fridge for at least a week. To reheat, put on small plate and microwave for 1-2 minutes. (Don't microwave too long or they get rubbery!).