Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The name says it all. Well... actually... no it doesn't. Read on and let your taste buds imagine.
Make and share this Green Chicken Soup for the Soul recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large leek
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grains of paradise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Start milk and chicken broth boiling along with a pinch of salt.
- While waiting to heat up, remove the woody ends of the asparagus and chop into 1" pieces, then add to liquid mixture.
- Allow to simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- While that is simmering, coarsely chop onion and leek.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add leeks, onions, garlic, and a couple good pinches of salt (maybe 1/2 tsp.) and cover, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Continue sweating onions and leeks until they are nice and tender.
- When asparagus is tender, add marjoram and use a stick blender or a food processor to puree the mixture.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat, then add flour, stirring constantly until the mixture is blended and foamy, about 1 minute. This makes a roux.
- Mix the asparagus puree mixture into the roux and allow to come to a simmer but do not let it boil.
- Grind the mustard and grains of paradise and stir into the soup.
- Stir in onions and leeks.
- Shred chicken breasts and add to the soup.
- Allow to simmer a couple more minutes.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.