cincy matt's Note:
The name says it all. Well... actually... no it doesn't. Read on and let your taste buds imagine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large leek
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grains of paradise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Start milk and chicken broth boiling along with a pinch of salt.
- 2While waiting to heat up, remove the woody ends of the asparagus and chop into 1" pieces, then add to liquid mixture.
- 3Allow to simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- 4While that is simmering, coarsely chop onion and leek.
- 5Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- 6Add leeks, onions, garlic, and a couple good pinches of salt (maybe 1/2 tsp.) and cover, stirring every couple of minutes.
- 7Continue sweating onions and leeks until they are nice and tender.
- 8When asparagus is tender, add marjoram and use a stick blender or a food processor to puree the mixture.
- 9In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat, then add flour, stirring constantly until the mixture is blended and foamy, about 1 minute. This makes a roux.
- 10Mix the asparagus puree mixture into the roux and allow to come to a simmer but do not let it boil.
- 11Grind the mustard and grains of paradise and stir into the soup.
- 12Stir in onions and leeks.
- 13Shred chicken breasts and add to the soup.
- 14Allow to simmer a couple more minutes.
- 15Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chicken Soup for the Soul
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.2
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 64.8 mg
- Sodium 149.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 20.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
grains of paradise