Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I turned my familys Enchiladas Verdes recipe into a casserole. It is delicious!! You will love this casserole. Easy to make.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 dash salt
- 1 lb half of your blender tomatillo
- 2 -4 serrano peppers
- 1 (1 tablespoon) package Knorr chicken bouillon (Caldo de Pollo)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (12 ounce) packageof cacique ranchero queso fresco (Avail @ Walmart)
- 1 bottle cacique Mexican crema (Avail @ Walmart)
- Cook the chicken in a large pot with the onion sliced and the salt for 40-50 mins on med/high heat.
- After chicken is done remove 1oz of chick broth for later use.
- Let chicken cool down on plate. Then tear to small pieces for casserole. Set aside.
- While Chicken is cooling clean and remove cover from tomatillos. Clean and remove ends from Serrano Peppers.
- Cook the tomatillos and Serrano peppers in pot until tomatillos are completely soft ( some may split open, still use).
- Place cooked tomatillos and peppers into blender w/ chicken buillon and 1oz of chicken broth. Also add a dash of salt.
- Blend on high to create sauce.
- Use 9x13 casserole dish( you can use any size casserole dish just increase or decrease amount of chicken,cheese and tortillas).
- Line the bottom of the dish with tortillas slightly overlapping.
- Sprinkle cooked chicken on top of tortillas. Enough so that you can't really see the tortillas.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top of chicken. ( about 1/4 of cheese block).
- Cover with more tortillas just like on the bottom.
- Sprinkle Chicken on top of tortillas.
- Pour Sauce over chicken, as much as little as you would like.
- Sprinkle Cheese on top of the Chicken( Enough to cover chicken about 1/2 or more of block of cheese).
- You can save some cheese to use on casserole after it has cooked if you like.
- Cook Casserole at 375 for 25-30minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with more sauce and crema. Great along with beans and tortilla chips.
This was excellent! I did add some seasonings (1 t. mexican oregano, 1 t. cumin, 1/2 t. epasote and 1 clove of garlic) to the sauce, and used a mix of 1 serrano, 1 habanero and 2 jalapenos as the peppers. Sauce was really fantastic and could be used on a lot of things. I plan to make a big batch and freeze it to have on hand. Thanks for a great recipe.
Very good casserole. I used a quart of home canned tomatillos in the sauce so I did not have to cook them. The flavor was great and I will be making again to use up all those home canned tomatillos. Thank you for sharing this recipe.