Recipe by Girl from India
We call Aubergines or Eggplants Brinjals. What a confusion :D Made this for my DH's birthday last month. Thai cuisine is one of my favourites and here is one more reason why :)
- 150 g aubergines (use the small variety preferably the green ones)
- 2 tablespoons oil (or less)
- 6 tablespoons green curry paste (I use my Thai Green Curry Paste Gone Greener!)
- 400 g chicken, cut into bite sized cubes
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (I used soy sauce)
- 2 -3 lemon leaves (use grated lemon rind if you do not get lemon leaves)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (jaggery)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 -12 basil leaves, plus extra
- basil leaves, for garnish
- 2 -3 green chilies or 2 -3 red chilies, slit long,for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the aubergines into halves or chunks depending on the size.
- Heat oil in a vessel.
- Saute the green curry paste for 3 minutes on high flame.
- Add the chicken pcs and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Now lower the heat and add 1 cup coconut milk.
- Simmer till chicken is almost done.
- Add salt, sugar,basil, fish sauce, lemon leaves, brinjal and the remaining coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer till the brinjals and the chicken are well cooked.
- Garnish with the chillies and the basil.