Barbell Bunny's Note:
An easy and delicious green chicken curry. I pounced on this recipe after seeing Aarti making it on The Next Food Network Star.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups or 2 small bunches)
- 1 bunch fresh mint, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 inches gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup water, plus
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon malt vinegar
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, whisked until smooth
- cooked basmati rice or warm naan bread
- 1In a food processor, puree the cilantro, mint, red onion, ginger, salt, and pepper. Puree on high until smooth. While the processor is running, add 1/4 cup water and blend until the mixture is a thick paste. Set aside.
- 2In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until golden brown.
- 3Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds.
- 4Add the cilantro puree to the pot and cook, stirring often until it deepens in color and aroma. It should look shiny, and little droplets of oil will appear on the surface.
- 5Add the chicken, coating each piece in the puree and stirring often. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, so the puree adheres to the chicken.
- 6Add 1 1/2 cups water, or just enough to cover the chicken, and add the vinegar. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken is tender and sauce has slightly thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 7Remove the pot from heat and swirl in the yogurt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- 8Serve over basmati rice or naan bread.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chicken Curry (Food Network Star - Aarti)
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.8
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 87.9 mg
- Sodium 105.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 22.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: