Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I do love a good chicken curry -- it has to be one of the best comfort foods on this planet.
Make and share this Green Chicken Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 750 g boneless chicken
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 200 g mushrooms, quartered
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 8 fresh lime leaves
- 14.79 ml Thai fish sauce
- 1 bunch basil leaves, shredded
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
For the curry paste
- 4 stalk lemongrass
- 6 medium hot green chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 59.16 ml chopped coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml chopped lime zest
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 14.79 ml Thai fish sauce
- 2.46 ml ground black peppercorns
- Make the paste by slicing the lemongrass finely and putting into a food processor with all the remaining curry paste ingredients.
- Whizz to a thick paste, pushing the mixture down from time to time with a spatula.
- Put into a glass bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Cut the chicken into finger size strips.
- warm the oil in a casserole and when it is hot and sizzling add the chicken strips and let them colour slightly on all sides.
- Do this in batches if necessary.
- Lift out with a draining spoon and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry until golden brown, adding more oil if needed.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stock, then add the lime leaves, 4 tablespoons of the curry paste, the fish sauce, half of the chopped herbs and a generous grinding of black pepper.
- Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Return the chicken to the pan with a further tablespoon of the paste and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining herbs and serve with rice or noodles.
This was great. It was exactly what I was looking for. I was trying to convince my wife that Thai currys were good, after a bad experience at a restaurant. This one not only did the trick, but gets requested regularly. One change I have made - I leave the soy/fish sauce out of the paste. The flavor of the fried mushrooms is enough.
Outstanding combination of ingredients for a curry. I still prefer other curries to Thai green curry, but this was incredible. We added some additonal lemongrass, garlic, and galangal (Thai ginger) to the chicken as it was stir frying - that always gives the chicken a very fragrant boost. If you use fresh Thai green chilies, be warned - they're hot.
Outstanding! The flavors in this are well-balanced and complex, all blending together pleasantly with the chicken and the mushrooms. I made this just as directed, and the prep time took a bit longer (about 25 minutes), but was ok. The curry was nice and saucy, and I served it in bowls with rice. Very good! Will definitely serve this again! Thanks, Friedel!