Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My husband was very pleased when I presented him with this soup! He found it full of flavor & just the right consistency. He’s a soup man from way back – his favorite food so obviously he was my taste tester! Lunch time went over with a bang!
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, cooked and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup asparagus, cooked and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (small)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 cup milk, homogenized
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup havarti cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Mix all liquid ingredients together except the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Drop the chopped cooked spinach and asparagus into a blender along with 1 ½ cups of liquid. Puree.
- In a medium large saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour ‘til smooth.
- SLOWLY add the remaining liquid mixture and the puree to the sauce pot, stirring constantly.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Add all of the cheese and stir. The cheese will quickly melt.
- Cook over a low heat about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add a light swirl of warmed cream to each serving and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper.
- Serve it up hot with chunks of hot crusty bread!
For my tastes a soup with spinach, asparagus and cheese can not be beat! The only think this recipe needs is a slight improvement in the instructions. It should clearly say 1/2 cup of already cooked spinach and already cooked asparagus. Also, suggestions on how to cook the spinach and asparagus would have been helpful (in water, oil, butter). BTW, butter was not listed in the ingredients listing. Never-the-less this soup was wonderful... not only when first made, just as good the second day as well!