Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Made with the cross between broccoli and cauliflower. This adds a nice color to the soup and a richer flavor than white cauliflower. Made with fresh ingredients (except for the organic chicken broth).
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 quart organic chicken broth (Please do not use chicken cubes or the like.)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk (I use goat milk) or 1 cup cream (I use goat milk)
- 1 green onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Asiago and Parmesan are also good)
- salt and pepper
- Make roux by combining butter and flour in lg. saucepan. Whisk to combine and cook briefly. Add either more butter or more flour to adjust thickness.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, cook briefly but do not let roux brown.
- Add chicken broth, stir and simmer until it thickens.
- Add cauliflower and cook until tender.
- Add milk and green onion.
- Add cheese and salt and pepper.
- Cook until cheese melts.
- These are only guesses at measurements as I just add the amount of each ingredient I think it needs. You may prefer the soup thinner. Use less roux and milk.
- Freshly made soup is so easy to make, and you can adjust salt and seasoning to taste. Why eat a canned or powdered soup?