Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love this pilaf!
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, washed, drained and cooked
- 4 green capsicum, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green chilies, slit
- 1⁄2 inch ginger, minced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut, grated (for garnishing)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons black gram dal
- 2 teaspoons bengal gram dal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- Cook rice in 3 cups water.
- Once cooked (water has evaporated and rice is ready) allow it to cool.
- In the meantime, chop the onion, potatoes and capsicums.
- Bring the green peas to a boil.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add mustard seeds and the black gram and bengal gram dals.
- Stir-fry for a minute.
- Add green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Continue to stir-fry.
- Add the chopped onions.
- Add capsicums, potatoes and tomatoes and fry.
- Add half a cup of water and salt.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the green peas.
- Stir until all the water has evaporated.
- Allow to cool.
- Add lemon juice and cilantro, chopped for garnishing.
- Pour seasoning into rice and mix well.
- To serve, put rice on a serving plate.
- Garnish with grated coconut and the remaining cilantro and serve!
- Notes: I've been told that a tbsp of sambhar powder when added to the vegetables enhances the taste tremendously.
- I'm yet to try this addition.