Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This is a great combination of flavors! It is a healthy recipe that can be made ahead of time to save time. This recipe was crafted by Kurt Gutenbrunner, the chef at Manhattan's Wallsé and Cafe Sabarsky, who willingly offers his secret. MAKE AHEAD: The cabbage and apples can be refrigerated overnight.
- 3 lbs head green cabbage, halved cored and coarsely shredded (12 cups)
- 1 cup riesling wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled halved, cored and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the wine, lemon juice and sugar. Let marinate for 1 hour, tossing often.
- In a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the cabbage and its marinade and cook over moderately high heat, tossing, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add the apples and toss well. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are just tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.