1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A healthy soup from Eastern Europe. Serve with black bread and creamy butter. Posted in response to a recipe request from an online source.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs sorrel (substitute 1 pound spinach, 1 pound endive and the juice of 3 lemons if you cannot find sorrel)
- 2 1/4 quarts beef stock
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallions, chopped or 1 tablespoon green onion, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs, hardboiled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1Bring the beef stock to a boil in a large pot.
- 2Add the onion, salt and sorrel or other greens and lemon juice; add potatoes and cook for ten minutes.
- 3Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 4Remove from heat and place into a large tureen and stir in the cream; add the dill.
- 5Serve and garnish with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of minced scallion and slices of egg.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.7
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 172.3 mg
- Sodium 1826.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: