Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
A healthy soup from Eastern Europe. Serve with black bread and creamy butter. Posted in response to a recipe request from an online source.
- 2 lbs sorrel (substitute 1 pound spinach, 1 pound endive and the juice of 3 lemons if you cannot find sorrel)
- 2 1⁄4 quarts beef stock
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallions, chopped or 1 tablespoon green onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs, hardboiled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Bring the beef stock to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the onion, salt and sorrel or other greens and lemon juice; add potatoes and cook for ten minutes.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and place into a large tureen and stir in the cream; add the dill.
- Serve and garnish with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of minced scallion and slices of egg.