Source: Vegetarian Times Issue: November 1, 2008 You can prepare these Shallot crisps advance. Store them in a tightly sealed jar, they will keep at room temperature for 2 weeks. Cooking time includes 10 minute standing time for shallots.
- Make Shallot Crisps by spreading shallot rings on paper towel, sprinkle with salt, and cover with another paper towel then let them stand 10 minutes. Blot excess moisture from shallots.
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat, add shallots and fry 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Pour shallots and oil through fine mesh strainer, or remove shallots with slotted spoon.
- Spread shallots on paper towels to drain and cool and discard oil.
- Make Green Beans by cooking beans in large pot of boiling salted water 5 to 8 minutes, or until just tender and drain.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, oil, and maple syrup in serving bowl, add green beans and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper, top with Shallot Crisps and chopped walnuts, and serve.