Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a tasty low-fat side dish. If you want a little more flavor,(and a few more calories) add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil when you add the green beans.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 slices turkey bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Spray a large skillet with vegetable oil spray.
- Add bacon and cook over medium heat until bacon is just crisp, about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bacon from skillet.
- Set aside.
- Spray skillet with a little more spray.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until tender, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add undrained tomatoes,thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Place green beans on top of tomato mixture.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered,until beans are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Before serving,sprinkle beans with reserved bacon and toss gently.
- Serve warm.
This was just OK. I think the can stewed tomatoes was a bit overpowering for the beans.
We love green Beans this way. I make these often. Very Southern. :)