Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fresh Tomatoes are the key to this delicious side dish. Easy and tasty, even passed the 10 year olds picky taste buds.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed and snap of tips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 roma tomatoes or 3 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt & pepper
- 5 -6 leaves fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- Heat oil in a large frying pan with a cover.
- Add the onion slices and cook until just soft (5-6 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and cook about 6- 8 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the water and season with Salt& Pepper.
- Stir in the beans and coat them with the sauce.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat for approx.
- 15-20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally, and add more water if sauce dries out.
- Serve hot or cold.
Not bad, the first time I made it, but the next time I made it I added a cup of mild salsa to the mix and it sure did liven it up
An excellent summer dish. The fresh tomatoes are the key ingredients, and the red onion adds a pleasing touch to the overall dish. The colors are lovely together. An absolute delight. Thanks Chippie for posting your recipe. It will definately be used again.
Nice green beans, good combination of ingredients. The fresh basil leaves were not in the instructions, to say when to add them, so I added them near the end of cooking, they really didn't add to the taste, so perhaps I should have added them at the begining so the taste would get cooked in. They were quite mild and I think next time I would add some spices to give them a little kick. Thanks for sharing.