Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I know there are plenty of Green Bean recipes but I couldn't help posting this one because it is a little bit different from the rest.
- 1 lb green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (uncooked, reserve 1 Tbsp. of fat after cooking)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (roma is great)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or omit juice and pepper and use 1/4-1/2 tsp. lemon- pepper) or 2 tablespoons lime juice (or omit juice and pepper and use 1/4-1/2 tsp. lemon- pepper)
- In a 2 quart saucepan, add green beans in enough water just to cover them, and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered about 15 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Drain and immediately rinse with cool water to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Stirring frequently.
- Reserve 1 tablespoons of bacon fat and drain off the rest and place bacon on plate covered with paper towels.
- In the same skillet add onion and 1 tablespoons bacon fat and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Stir in tomato, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper into onions and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Stir in green beans and heat through.
- Add bacon and stir to blend.
- Transfer mixture to serving dish and drizzle with lemon or lime juice.
I used canned beans and canned tomatoes(garlic,basil,oregano seasoning in it). I threw in dash of salt and squueze of lemon. Didn't have bacon so added a few drops of olive oil. Still good w/o the bacon..picky husband had seconds. Will put on my rotation
Flavors were devine! I had leftover 'canned' green beans to use up, as well as dice tomatoes. Still delicious! The oregano and lime juice really make this special! Thanks for posting.
This was good and easy to make. I cheated and used a can of diced tomatoes. 3 slices bacon, minced dry onions and lemon-pepper seasoning. Steamed the beans in the micro first. I will try it with all fresh ingred. next time, just short on time this time around.