Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Easy and great side dish for almost anything!
- 1 lb slender green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large red onion (14- to 16-ounce ~peeled, halved lengthwise, sliced lengthwise)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- Steam beans until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to plate.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over high heat.
- Add next 3 ingredients.
- Sauté until onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar and sugar.
- Stir until sauce thickens, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add beans; toss to coat and heat through, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mound in shallow bowl.
I steamed the beans in microwave. I liked that it was easy and fast to do. I loved the smell of marjoram but while eating the green beans, I couldn't taste it. I think the dry crushed red pepper were overpowering. I may omit it next time or reduce it. It was very "piquante". Thanks Juenessa for another great recipe with green beans :) Made for 123 hit wonders.
Really flavorful beans that went perfectly with a stir fry. They smell wonderful as they cook. I didn't have fresh margarom so I used 1/4 tsp. of dried. I also cut the recipe in half and it easily served 4 - meaning fewer calories.:) Thank you for this easy side dish Juenessa!