Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple side dish from Southern Living Magazine.
- 2 lbs fresh green beans
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut thin strips
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook beans in boiling water to cover in a Dutch oven 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallots and bell pepper, and saute 4 minutes or until tender. Add beans; toss with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
I cut this in half and used a 12 oz bag of prewashed and trimmed green beans to save time. I blanched these in boiling water until crisp tender (about 3 minutes), drained them, and immersed in a bowl of ice water for a bit. After draining them, I threw them in a ziploc bag for later. Diced the shallots and red pepper and threw them in frig for later as well. This made last minute prep about 4 minutes total, which is great if you're entertaining or just want to make things ahead. I simply loved the fresh taste of this recipe! The red pepper and garlic powder give those 'ol green beans some zip!
This bean recipe is sooo good!! We served as a side to a peppercorn roasted pork tenderloin and halved it to suit just the two of us. We thought it had great flavor and was easy to prep. We boiled longer than the 3-4 mins (more like 7 or 8) because we like our beans softer. We would definitely make this recipe again. It is very versatile. Thanks!
loved these used your green beans and shallot recipe and with left overs made these