Recipe by lazyme
A simple side dish from Southern Living Magazine.
Top Review by quikgourmet
I cut this in half and used a 12 oz bag of prewashed and trimmed green beans to save time. I blanched these in boiling water until crisp tender (about 3 minutes), drained them, and immersed in a bowl of ice water for a bit. After draining them, I threw them in a ziploc bag for later. Diced the shallots and red pepper and threw them in frig for later as well. This made last minute prep about 4 minutes total, which is great if you're entertaining or just want to make things ahead. I simply loved the fresh taste of this recipe! The red pepper and garlic powder give those 'ol green beans some zip!
- 2 lbs fresh green beans
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut thin strips
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beans in boiling water to cover in a Dutch oven 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallots and bell pepper, and saute 4 minutes or until tender. Add beans; toss with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.