Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
gourmet magazine...sara moulton
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green beans, trimmed
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook mustard seeds, stirring, until they pop and are 1 shade darker, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer oil with seeds to a large bowl.
- Simmer vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, then cool 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in cleaned skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onion, stirring, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar, then add to mustard oil in large bowl.
- Have ready a large bowl of ice and cold water.
- Cook beans in a pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and plunge into ice water to stop cooking, then drain well.
- Toss beans with vinaigrette and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- gourmet magazine -- sara moulton.
This was an easy and good recipe, I'm afraid I didnt have a red onion so used a normal one, but followed the recipe otherwise and enjoyed it very much. Thank you, goodchick, good recipe, made for PAC Fall 2012