Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is Paula Deen's recipe with a few tweaks of my own. If you grew up eating fresh garden green beans and baby potatoes cooked with ham, you'll think you died and went to Southern heaven when you taste these!
- 3 lbs fresh green beans
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup bacon grease
- 2 cups chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 2 teaspoons house seasoning (Paula Deen's House Seasoning Mix)
- 16 small red potatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, sliced
- ground black pepper
- Remove ends of beans. Snap each bean in 2 pieces, place in a colander, wash, and set aside to drain.
- In a large cast iron Dutch oven, lightly brown salt pork in the bacon grease over medium heat, turning often, for approximately 10 minutes. Remove salt pork and discard. Add onions and saute until browned and soft, about 5 minutes. Toss green beans into pot, stirring them with a wooden spoon to coat well with pork fat. Add broth and seasoning. Cook over medium-low heat, covered tightly, for approximately 30 minutes, or until beans are half done.
- While beans are cooking, peel a center strip from each potato with a potato peeler. At the end of 30 minutes, add potatoes; add 1/4 cup more broth, if needed. Cook, covered tightly until potatoes are tender, approximately 25-30 minutes, periodically checking the pot to make sure a small amount of liquid remains. When potatoes are tender, tilt lid slightly, off to the side of the pot, and continue to cook until beans are wilted and soft, approximately 15 minutes. While cooking, add the butter and season with pepper.