Entered for ZWT. From Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian". This is a simple Indian way with green beans. You may stuff these beans into a pita bread, along with a chutney or yorgurt relish. You may also eat them with other vegetables, yogurt dishes, and dried beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons peanut oil or 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, cut in half lengthwise and then crosswise into very thin slices
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and cut into very fine rounds, then stacked and cut into very fine slivers
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, cut into thick slices lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1Put the oil in a large wok, frying pan, or saute pan and set over medium-high heat.
- 2When hot, put in the cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for 10 seconds and then put in the sliced onion. Stir and fry until medium brown.
- 3Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a few seconds, or until the garlic turns golden.
- 4Put in the mushrooms. Stir and fry until the mushrooms lose their raw look and turn shiny.
- 5Add the beans, coriander, ground cumin, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne, and salt. Stir to mix.
- 6Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat down to low, and cook gently for 15 minutes, or until the beans are tender. Stir once about halfway through this period. uncover and boil away most of the liquid, turning the beans gently as you do so. (The beans may be easily reheated.).
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Beans With Mushrooms (Sem Aur Khumbi)
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.5
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 881.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: