Recipe by dicentra
Gourmet | November 2006
Top Review by Maven in the Making
Bought some Haricot Verts today at Costco (fresh, already trimmed, slender, mmm) and tried this recipe with them. It was such a great decision! These were simple but tasted so fancy. I loved that it was so fast and took so few ingredients. I love the flavors together (everyone did)! The ginger really mellowed as it cooked a bit and wasn't to strong at all. Thank you so much for posting this. Don't hesitate to make this recipe -- it's a "keeper"! I'll be doing it again and again.
- 2 lbs French haricots vert or 2 lbs other green beans, trimmed
- 1 piece fresh ginger (3-inch-long)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beans in an 8-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until just tender, 5 to 9 minutes (depending on thickness).
- Drain beans in a colander and transfer to a large bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. Drain beans again and pat dry.
- Peel ginger and halve crosswise, then thinly slice lengthwise and cut into very thin matchsticks.
- Heat butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides, then cook ginger, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans and cook, stirring, until just heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add zest and salt, tossing to combine.