Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Gourmet | November 2006
- 2 lbs French haricots vert or 2 lbs other green beans, trimmed
- 1 piece fresh ginger (3-inch-long)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook beans in an 8-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until just tender, 5 to 9 minutes (depending on thickness).
- Drain beans in a colander and transfer to a large bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. Drain beans again and pat dry.
- Peel ginger and halve crosswise, then thinly slice lengthwise and cut into very thin matchsticks.
- Heat butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides, then cook ginger, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans and cook, stirring, until just heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add zest and salt, tossing to combine.
Bought some Haricot Verts today at Costco (fresh, already trimmed, slender, mmm) and tried this recipe with them. It was such a great decision! These were simple but tasted so fancy. I loved that it was so fast and took so few ingredients. I love the flavors together (everyone did)! The ginger really mellowed as it cooked a bit and wasn't to strong at all. Thank you so much for posting this. Don't hesitate to make this recipe -- it's a "keeper"! I'll be doing it again and again.
I blanched a big pot of green beans tonight and I tried a couple of dressings on them. This one was the definite winner!! This has great flavor, just the right amount of ginger to lemon to butter!!! Those flavors go great with green beans!! We really enjoyed these, will make again, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!