Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
We always had these beans with our Christmas dinner. They are very flavorful and a family favorite. Most of the work can be done in advance. Although there is alot of garlic, the cooking process mellows it considerably.
- 24 cloves garlic (peeled, halved lengthwise)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb ham steak, cut into strips 1/4 x 2 inches
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add garlic; cook 8 minutes until very tender.
- Transfer to a paper towel using a slotted spoon.
- Pat dry.
- Add salt to pot; return water to boil and add green beans.
- Cook beans until just tender, about 6 minutes.
- Drain beans, rinse under cold water, pat dry and set aside.
- Heat 2 T oil in heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ham and saute until crisp, 6 or 7 minutes depending on the moisture content of the ham.
- Set aside.
- Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- Keep garlic separate from beans and ham.
- Melt butter with remaining oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and mash with a fork or the back of a spoon.
- Add green beans and ham.
- Toss until heated through and coated with garlic.
- Season to your taste with salt and pepper.
Wow! Considering that neither my husband nor myself are great green bean lovers nor are we great ham lovers, we absolutely devoured this delicious recipe! We had left-over ham, and I used this as our "next" night vegetable along with Lorac's Tomato, Ham and Cheese Bake #22617, and it was just perfect. Crisping the ham and crushing the garlic was absolutely delicious with the beans and I would not change a thing. This goes in the permanent family recipe album! Thanks so very much for this delicious recipe. Dianne
I love green beans in any way, shape, or form and this is a great find!!! I prepared them exactly as you stated and I wouldn't change a thing. Wonderful flavor. Thank you so much normaone for sharing this. I have added it to my "keeper" list.
This recipe is a keeper. Tons of flavor!!!