Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Vegetarian Times. One of the numerous useful ways to use up day old bread.
- 1 lb fresh green beans or 1 lb frozen green beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a pot, steam the green beans until tender-crisp. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute on medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. DO NOT allow the garlic to burn!
- Stir in the bread crumbs and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes more, pressing down on the bread crumb mixture with a spatula to allow it to become crispy. Again, be careful not to burn.
- Stir in the green beans and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
This has been a family favorite for years. Adjust the amount of the ingredients to your liking; try it with a little Parmesan cheese.
This is a nice dress-up for beans. I used yellow rather than green since I had some in the crisper that needed to be used up. My only problem was that the breadcrumbs didn't stick to the beans. Maybe using a bit more olive oil would help?
Delicious green bean recipe! I cut my fresh green beans in bite sided pieces which made it easier to enjoy the breadcrumbs with every bite. Made for Veg 'N Swap tag.