Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
A wonderful Greek style side dish that can be served hot or at room temperature.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 (10 ounce) boxesfrozen French style green beans, thawed and drained
- 4 -6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil for a minute- be careful not to burn.
- Add tomatoes, olives and oregano and simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add green beans and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Just before serving sprinkle feta cheese on top.
- These are delicious hot or cold.
Fresh green beans in January are terrible so I bought frozen and then found your recipe...we just LOVED it. The addition of the feta produced a very rich tasting dish. I switched the oregano for basil simply because I had marinated chicken in oregano, lemon, and garlic before I found your recipe (and didn't want to go into oregano overdrive). Next time (and there will be many next times) I will use the oregano, it will definitely produce the requisite Greek flavour. Thank you for the marvelous recipe!
I'm on a bit of a Greek Odyssey at present, reliving my past! This was so good, and easy, and I don't like green beans! I can't remember when I last bought and enjoyed beans, but I did enjoy these. However I do love tomatoes, olives and fetta, and they bought out the best in those beans! Had these with Garlic Potatoes, and Greek Style Chicken for an unbelievable dinner.
I made this for the first time for company tonight and it was such a hit, the lady asked me for the recipe. The only thing I did different was added about a 1/4 tsp. of salt and allowed all of it to simmer for about 30 min. to allow the flavors to blend.