Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Bon Appetit, December 2003. The butter really mellows the Dijon mustard, creating a really delicious flavor.
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green beans (whole) or 1 lb fresh green beans (trimmed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Heat frozen green beans according to package directions. (Cook fresh green beans in large pot of generously salted boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold running water and drain again.).
- Melt 1 Tbutter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute until deep brown and crisp ( I usually just cook until soft and transluscent). (Green beans and shallots can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.).
- Melt 1 T butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in mustard. Add green beans; toss until heated through and evenly coated, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Mound beans on platter. Sprinkle with shallots.
I took the chef's advice and prepared my beans and shallots ahead of time, so that I could pay attention to my steaks on the grill. A big heads up to anyone else that does this.....double or triple the shallots, because they are so good you will not be able to stop yourself from grabbing a "taste"! These beans were very good, and I didn't feel the mustard overwhelmed the beans at all. I used cut frozen green beans, and they turned out great...I just needed more nice crispy shallots, since I ate most of mine up in the prep phase! Made for Holiday tag. Thanks for posting!
ABSOLUTELY GREAT BEAN SIDE! With the exception of using lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P, I followed the recipe exactly & used fresh green beans, steamed! This is a simple & wonderful way to season this kind of dish ~ Thanks, much for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This was delicious! Easy enough for everyday, but elegant enough for special occasions. They were delicious "as is" but also great topped with toasted breadcrumbs.