Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can use fresh or canned green beans, drained. Dressed up with the title ingredients or add slivers of water chestnuts right before serving.
- 4 -6 cups fresh green beans, ends snapped 2 inch lengths
- 1 -2 cup diced ham, fresh or 1 -2 cup cooked diced ham
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 2 teaspoons diced pimentos
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup slivered water chestnut (optional)
- In medium saucepan, add all ingredients except the salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium low heat uncovered.
- Stir with a spoon from time to time.
- Gas stoves seem to be hotter than electric ones so watch that the liquid does not evaporate. When the beans are soft, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss a few times to mix. You may use salt substitute or Mrs. Dash Herb and Spice Mixture.
- I serve with biscuits and mushroom gravy.
- Note: If you use canned green beans, do not drain, add 3/4 cup water. Do not use the 1 1/2 cups of water. Add all of ingredients and cook until onion is soft.
- Do not add salt, just pepper as the juice tends to be salty.