1/3 Photos of Green Beans With Coriander and Garlic: Feijao Verde Com Coentro
Vicki in CT's Note:
From: The Food of Portugal. Haven't tried this yet, but it sounded good. Did not include marinating time in prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs tender young green beans, washed and tipped
- 3 quarts boiling water, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander leaves (the dried won't do)
- 5 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Cook the beans in the boiling salted water in a large covered saucepan over moderate heat, 10 to 12 minutes until tender.
- 2Meanwhile, place the garlic and coriander in a large heat-proof bowl. As soon as the beans are done, drain well, return to moderate heat, and shake the pan 30 to 40 seconds to drive off all excess moisture. Dump the hot beans on top of the garlic and coriander and let stand 10 minutes.
- 3Add 5 tablespoons of the olive oil and toss well to mix; cover and marinate in the refrigerator 3 to 4 hours or, better yet, overnight.
- 4About 45 minutes before serving, bring the beans from the refrigerator and let stand, still covered, on the counter. Just before serving, add the lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of the vinegar, and the pepper. Toss well, taste, and add more vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper, if needed. Serve as an accompaniment to pork, poultry, veal, or beef.
- 5There's a reason for adding the lemon juice and vinegar to the green beans after they've marinated. If you mix these acids in too soon, the beans will turn an unappetizing shade of brown.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Beans With Coriander and Garlic: Feijao Verde Com Coentro
Serving Size: 1 (487 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.1
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 20.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 2.9 g