Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is actually a south Indian recipe. Usually made with fresh grated coconut.But, I make it with dessicated coconut and it still turns out great. Adjust the seasoning to your taste as they are guesstimates. Serve with rice or indian bread
- 3 cups green beans (frozen cut or fresh cut)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup finely sliced onion
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1⁄2 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon chopped green chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Cook the beans till almost done ( I microwave them for about 8-10 minutes).
- Heat the oil and saute the cumin seeds, onions, ginger,garlic and green chillies.
- When the onions get a little brown, add the cooked green beans.
- Add turmeric.
- Add the coconut.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until all the ingredients are combined.
- Serve hot with rice or Indian bread.
Made exactly as written. I was looking for a recipe for green beans by Vij, but no luck so I thought I would try this one. Very good, easy & I had all ingredients at the ready. Served with Vij's Lamb in Creamy Cardmom curry. GG
Delicious! I had some fresh green beans and I have never loved green beans so I was looking for an interesting way to cook them. I didn't use ginger or chiles because i didn't have any. Regardless, , this dish was a hit with my whole family (ten year old included). I served it over brown rice as a side dish. I now like green beans and will make this again soon!
Wonderful! So aromatic and the taste lives up to the aroma. I used dried coconut and frozen beans--now I can't wait to make this again with fresh beans which will soon be at the farm market. Really a lovely dish. Thanks, Sana!