Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
from Bon Appetit magazine, December 2006.
- 2 lbs slender green beans, trimmed
- 1 lb medium shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cook beans in boiling salted water until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well.
- Cut off and discard ends from shallots. Cut shallots lengthwise in half, then remove peel with paring knife.
- Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; saute until shallots are browned and tender, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the green beans, mix together, and heat through. Serve.
- DO AHEAD Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover loosely with foil and let stand at room temperature.
Yum! these were great! A really simple way to make greenbeans with lots of flavor. I didn't have any shallots so I subsituted pearl onions which were absoltely delicious. Made for the zaar chef alphabet soup tag game.
We loved this! I did cut the shallots again in the pan while cooking to make quarters. Otherwise I made as posted. These have a nice crisp and smoking taste to it. Thanks for posting. :)