1/1 Photo of Green Beans With Balsamic Pesto
Galley Wench's Note:
Recipe comes from Lynn Rosetto Kasper's cookbook The Splendid Table. It's amazing how a little balsamic can invigorate basil pesto! I've changed the order for the pesto, hopefully this will solve the problem other reviewers have experienced.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch long pices. (or a combination of green beans and diced potatoes)
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1Making the Pesto:.
- 2Combine the basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese in a blender or food processor and blend until the basil is finely chopped, but not pureed.
- 3Add the olive oil, and garlic and blend until almost smooth.
- 4Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 5Cooking the Beans:.
- 6Pour about 2 inches of water into a 6 quart pot.
- 7Place a collapsible steamer in the pot, cover, and bring to a full boil.
- 8Place beans in the steamer, cover the pot, and steam 6 minutes, or until tender crisp.
- 9Mix 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar with 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar.
- 10Remove the beans to a shallow serving bowl.
- 11Add the pesto to the beans, stirring in the vinegar/sugar mixture.
- 12Toss to thoroughly coat the beans.
- 13Taste for seasoning and serve hot or at room temperature.
- 14Note: Refrigeration will alter the flavors so best served right after the pesto and beans are combined.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Beans With Balsamic Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.6
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 371.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 6.1 g