Prep 8 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is "yet another" alternative to the traditional green bean casserole with cream of "something" soups. But with the sour cream and cheese, it is still creamy. This recipe originally came from the cookbook "Candlelight and Wisteria" from the Lee-Scott Academy. It was originally submitted by Thelma Wilson
- 1182.95 ml frozen cut green beans
- 118.29 ml onion, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 59.14 ml butter, melted and divided
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml lemon rind, grated
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 226.79 g container sour cream
- 118.29 ml cheese (2 oz)
- 118.29 ml dry breadcrumbs, crushed fine (crushed ritz crackers can be substituted, if preferred)
- Cook green beans according to the package directions; drain well and set aside.
- Cook onion and parsley in 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in flour, salt, lemon rind, and pepper. Add sour cream, stirring well. Add green beans; cook until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon mixture into an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Combine breadcrumbs and remaining 2 tbsp butter; sprinkle over cheese.
- Broil 8 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially opened) 5 minutes or until cheese melts and breadcrumbs are browned.
Although we do enjoy green beans, I haven't yet found a frozen green bean that I liked, so I switched to the fresh stuff & steamed 'em, then followed the recipe from there on! And, although my other half loves creamed anything, while I could do without it, these beans were absolutely delicious! Definitely a recipe worth keeping around! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Stars recipe tag]
I really liked these tangy green beans. I also didn't add the lemon rind but added lemon juice. I will be making these again. I get sick of the same ole green bean recipes and will be adding this one to the keep file. Thanks