Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Tried this one to get my 5 year old to eat more vegetables. Quite easy and an alternative to just plain old beans out of a can. Of course fresh green beans can be substituted.
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 (14 ounce) cans cut green beans
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Brown bacon in medium skillet.
- When the fat begins to render, add onions and cook until tender.
- Add the beans, vinegar and sugar.
- Continue cooking until most of vinegar has reduced and sugar is melted.
- Stir frequently.
This was just a little too sweet and sour for our tastes. We thought the vinegar and sugar totally overwhelmed the taste of the green beans. If I make this again, I'll cut down on the amounts of sugar and vinegar.
This is a Tried and True Recipe. A great side dish for your favorite meat. The blend of vinegar, sugar and bacon adds a sweet and sour taste. Thanks for a great recipe.