Recipe by breezermom
These green beans look very pretty with the red and yellow peppers added. Throw in the italian seasonings and you get a great side dish. From an Atlanta real estate company cookbook by Cathryn DuBow. The original recipe called for 1/4 cup vegetable oil, but I thought that was too much.
Top Review by Ty's Kitchen
Very tasty and different than plain green beans. Left the beans whole, and sliced onions and peppers in long strips. Due to health considerations, I used just a few shakes of cheese. Will make this again when I want to impress company (or just the family).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄8 cup vegetable oil (I use a bit less)
- 1 cup yellow sweet pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the green beans in boiling water to cover for 3 minutes; drain, and plunge into cold water. Drain well, and set aside.
- Pour oil into a large skillet; place over medium heat until hot. Add sweet peppers, onion, and garlic, and saute for 3 minutes. Add the reserved green beans, basil, and next 3 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer bean mixture to a serving dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.