Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are easy and made in one skillet - topped with "fresh" toasted bread crumbs. To make fresh bread crumbs - process 2 slices of hearty white sandwich bread in a food processor. Delicious!
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in bread crumbs and cook, tossing often, until golden brown - 3-5 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl and toss with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and basil.
- Wipe out skillet, add 1 T oil and heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1/4 t salt and cook until soft and golden, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Wipe out skillet again and add remaining tablespoon of oil over med-high heat until just smoking. Add green beans and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook, turning beans several times, until browned with spots, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to med-low and stir in tomato mixture and broth. Cover and cook until tender about 5 minutes. Remove lid and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Off heat toss in remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and adjust seasoning w/salt and pepper. Transfer to serving dish and top with bread crumbs.
I really don't like green beans, so these were a palatable way to eat them. Not sure if I would make them again--it was a lot of work for a vegetable dish, and the cheese, which made it taste good, also makes it much higher in fat and calories than veggies should be...