Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my dad's recipe for green beans. I don't know how authentically Lebanese it is, but he said it was, and this is the way he always fixed them
- 2 -4 shoulder lamb chops, boned,excess fat discarded,and cut in small pieces,bones reserved
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs green beans, washed,strings removed,broken in two
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled if desired,and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, more to taste,you will brobably want more
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 -6 cups hot water
- Brown lamb and bones in hot oil in skillet.
- Add onions and saute until lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and allspice, mix well, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large saucepan, cover, and cook slowly for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and hot water just to cover, and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Taste broth, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Continue cooking until beans are done.
- Uncover, and let liquid cook down if you prefer a less juicy dish.
- Tastes best if prepared a day ahead and reheated for serving.
- Pick out and discard bones before serving.
Awesome! I used canned diced tomatoes in place of fresh and used less water.
my lebanese mother in law makes this!Tasty,easy and a great way to get kids to eat green beans,you can also use frozen green beans!